Wednesday 19 September 2012

Favorite Poem




Poetry is one of the oldest forms of expressive literature, spanning back from thousands of years ago. Originally expressed in song form, poetry has survived war, plagues, and the destruction of entire civilizations.

My favorite poem is "Cross" by Langston Hughes. Here it is below:

Cross




My old man's a white old man
And my old mother's black.
If ever I cursed my white old man
I take my curses back.
If ever I cursed my black old mother
And wished she were in hell,
I'm sorry for that evil wish
And now I wish her well
My old man died in a fine big house.
My ma died in a shack.
I wonder were I'm going to die,
Being neither white nor black?


It's a short, simple poem and yet it is the emotional impact is astonishing. There's the connotation of crossbreed, "cross to bear," crossroads...


What is your favorite poem?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paradise lost: Hawaii palm trees to be cut down due to CRB | Breaking News

from Yahoo News - Latest News & Headlines https://ift.tt/hE7JetY